1. The Labrador is a bright and eager student, but he will only learn under your guidance.
2. Take advantage of your puppy’s first 20 weeks, during which his aptitude for learning is greatest.
3. Be consistent in your commands and in teaching your pup right from wrong.
4. Timing is the key. You must catch puppy in the act to reinforce a correct behavior or correct an undesirable one.
5. Understand and follow the basic principles of training.
6. Use games to lead up to formal commands in a fun manner.
7. Doggy daycare offers many benefits to today’s busy dog owners.
Reprinted from Breeders Best: Labrador Retriever © 2004. Permission granted by Kennel Club Books, an imprint of BowTie Press.