1. The Golden is intelligent, but he is not born trained! Your puppy will be very capable of learning what you teach him.
2. You must take advantage of your pup’s youth, as this is the time to establish your leadership and his good habits.
3. Training methods should be based on positive reinforcement with rewards of treats, petting and praise.
4. Teaching word association and knowing how to use correct timing are two basic principles of training.
5. Playing games with your puppy will reinforce your bond with each other and introduce commands in a fun way.
Reprinted from Breeders Best: Dachshund © 2004. Permission granted by Kennel Club Books, an imprint of BowTie Press.