1. The Dalmatian is a pack animal, like all other dogs, and needs a leader to guide and instruct him.
2. Positive reinforcement, punctuated with treats, is the best way to train any dog, especially one as intelligent and eager to please as the Dalmatian.
3. Know the basic rules of puppy classes: You are alpha and your dog doesn’t speak English.
4. Word association, timing and consistency are three key lessons for Dal and owner.
5. Learn the basic principles of successful puppy training.
6. Play games with your puppy to help him learn to come when called.
Reprinted from Breeders Best: Dalmatian © 2004. Permission granted by Kennel Club Books, an imprint of BowTie Press.