- Take advantage of your Aussies first 20 weeks, during which it’s easiest to lay the foundation for a polite canine citizen.
- Positive reinforcement is the best way to train, although scolding now and then is necessary. Regardless, you must catch him in the act to show him what’s right and wrong.
- Holding your dog’s attention and teaching word association are two basic principles of teaching anything to your dog.
- Timing is key! You only have a small window of opportunity to connect with your dog.
- Understand how a dog thinks and the fundamental principles on which training methods are based.
- Games introduce commands in a fun way and are excellent for bonding with your pup.
Return to the Australian Shepherd Breed Profile
Reprinted from Breeders Best: Australian Shepherd © 2004. Permission granted by Kennel Club Books, an imprint of BowTie Press.
Article Tags:australian shepherd · behavior · class · dog · dog channel · dogs · puppies · puppy · socialization · train · trainer · training