Pack your sunscreen and portable dog water bowls and head to the top 10 dog-friendly vacation cities in North America as determined by DogFriendly.com.
The 2007 list includes:
1. Boston – Enjoy Beantown’s history and natural beauty. Try a whale-watching cruise, the Freedom Trail, the Minute Man Park, and more. Leashed dogs are allowed on the subway.
2. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada – Take a stroll with your dog down the Capilano Suspension Bridge and park, tour Historic Gastown, or visit Victoria.
3. New York – Stay in one of the many dog-friendly luxury hotels, walk your dog along Brooklyn Bridge or through Manhattan. Hop a carriage or shop in chic boutiques.
4. San Francisco – Many hotels, outdoor dining, and attractions such as the Golden Gate welcome dogs. Take the cable car to Fisherman’s Wharf.
5. Austin, Texas – Tour the Zilker Bontanical Gardens, hop on a horse and carriage ride, dine in outdoor cafes and enjoy the city’s parks.
6. Portland, Ore. – Portland has more than 20 off-leash areas. Walk through the Saturday Outdoor Market or hike the Colombia River Gorge.
7. Northern Virginia – Book the Canine Cruise to the Potomac or take your dog along to outdoor-dining spots or national monuments.
8. Orlando, Fla. – Resorts such as the Portofino Bay and Sheraton World welcome dogs. Enjoy a boat cruise, shop at Winter Park, and dine in dog-friendly restaurants.
9. San Diego – This SoCal city features off-leash dog beaches and dog-friendly hotels. Shop at the Otay Ranch Shopping Center and let your dog explore its dog park.
10. Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas – Visit the Fort Worth Woof dog park, ride a carriage, and visit Pioneer Plaza.
For more information, visit www.dogfriendly.com.