Black cats are some of the most gorgeous cats around, but they often fall victim to negative stereotypes. Due to superstition, they’re associated with bad luck and mischief. That’s probably why black cats and kittens get overlooked in animal shelters all the time.
There are two days set aside for black cats each year to combat this stigma: Black Cat Appreciation Day, which is celebrated on August 17, and National Black Cat Day, which is celebrated on October 27 (primarily in the United Kingdom). On these days we celebrate black cats and recognize they need and deserve love just as much as any cat.
Let’s shatter some stereotypes, shall we? Here are 12 reasons black cats rule.
1. They are super cute.
Oh, so you think black cats aren’t cute? Um, hello. Have you seen this kitten?
2. They make the best little derp faces.
3. They have absolutely stunning eyes.
Beautiful Buddy #nationalblackcatday #nationalblackcatappreciationday #blackcat #blackcatsofinstagram #blackcatsrule #blackcatsarethebest #blackcatsclub #blackcatsmatter #blackcatsofig #blackcatsrock #blackcats #blackcatlove #blackcatappreciationday #blackcatoftheday #themeyes #bigeyes #cat #kitten #cutecatskittens #catoftheday #kittenoftheday #photooftheday #instagood #instacat #instacute #catsofinstagram #my_loving_pet #obsessedwithcats
“Look into my eyes and you will fall in love.”
4. They always let you know you’ve done a good job.
“Nice job, buddy.”
5. They help you keep your priorities in check.
Pets now. Work later.
6. They help you improve your selfie game.
“Now let’s do a silly one.”
7. They take their grooming very seriously.
Gotta keep that black fur nice and shiny.
8. They won’t spill your secrets.
It probably doesn’t hurt that they can’t actually speak.
9. They let you watch whatever you want to on TV.
No remote wars here.
10. They are smart kitties.
Of course you can teach a black cat to fetch.
11. They’re the furthest thing from evil.
Look at how precious!
12. And they just want to be loved.
Not even $5 can keep this black cat away.