The Rock’s Puppy Euthanized After Eating Poisonous Mushroom

The actor had saved his French Bulldog Brutus’ life just a few short weeks ago.

Over Labor Day weekend, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson posted a photo on Facebook about having saved the life of his new puppy – a French Bulldog named Brutus – after the dog had fallen in the pool and couldn’t swim. Dog Fancy is sorry to report that the actor had to put Brutus down this week after the poor little thing ingested a mushroom (which are highly toxic to dogs) and couldn’t recover.

Johnson initially posted the following photo on Instagram of him and Brutus at the vet:

Brutus continued to deteriorate, prompting Johnson to do the most humane (and most difficult) thing: euthanize the puppy.

Another reminder we have to live and love as greatly as we can today, because tomorrow is never guaranteed. At approximately 11:15pm last night myself and @laurenhashianofficial had to make the painful decision to end Brutus’ suffering by taking him off of life support and sending his soul to pup heaven. I held his lil’ paw as he was finally at peace. As all puppies and dogs do, he ate a mushroom while playing outside with his brother Hobbs. This mushroom happened to have a lethal toxicity and within hours it was rapidly destroying his liver and immune system to the point of no return. I encourage all of you out there to be mindful of mushrooms in your yards, parks or anywhere outside your dogs play. What looks innocent, can be deadly to your lil’ family members. Thank you Dr. Deckelbaum and Dr. West and the incredibly caring nurses and staff at The Animal Medical Center At Cooper City. We’ll always love you Brutus.. and you’ll always be my lil’ main man and rough housing Brute. #RIPBrutus #WishICouldveSavedYouOneMoreTime

A photo posted by therock (@therock) on

Losing a pet is always a difficult thing; our condolences go out to Johnson and family, including his other dog Hobbs.

Read more about mushrooms and dogs here.


Article Categories: