Lacy often chewed on her favorite rawhide disks. It wasn’t anything new for the 2-year-old Yorkshire Terrier, but one day eight years ago, Lacy swallowed a piece that was just a little too big.
“It was soft enough to go part of the way down, and large enough that she couldn’t get it back up,” says Julie H., a Yorkshire Terrier breeder in Indiana. The Yorkie panicked and flailed around wildly and finally lost consciousness. “It wasn’t until she passed out that I was able to get that piece of rawhide out with a hemostat I just happened to have because I’m a nurse. I wouldn’t have had time to get to the veterinarian. I would have lost her.”
Want to read the full story? Pick up the August 2010 issue of DOG FANCY today, or subscribe to get 12 months of articles just like this.