Take Precautions for a Safe Holiday With Your Dog

Pine needles, mistletoe, colorful ribbons, and candy add to the holidays. But they're not good for your dog.

Petco reminds pet owners to keep their animals safe from these holiday dangers:

The pine needles from Christmas trees can get lodged in an animal’s esophagus, making it hard for him to swallow. Drinking the water from a Christmas tree base can cause diarrhea, mouth sores, vomiting, and loss of appetite.

Dogs or cats that eat mistletoe can experience a drop in blood pressure, a swollen throat and mouth tissue, as well as vomiting. Other holiday foliage, including holly and poinsettias can cause stomach problems, and skin, mouth, and eye irritation. Yew can be fatal.

Tinsel and wrapping paper can cause choking and upset stomach.

Cookies and candies may contain ingredients, such as chocolate, that are toxic to pets.

In addition, the editors of DOG FANCY magazine remind you that feeding your dog leftovers may make him ill. Too much fatty food can lead to pancreatitis, a serious condition. Provide some special, healthy treats if you want to share the holidays with your dog.

Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Google Plus
Share On Linkedin
Share On Pinterest
Share On Reddit
Share On Stumbleupon
Article Categories:
Dogs · Health and Care