Based off the flavors of the traditional Irish-American dinner of corned beef and cabbage, these treats are much healthier for your dog than the human version.
In fact, one of the common spices in corned beef, paprika, can actually be harmful to dogs. According to the ASPCA, paprika and turmeric contain irritants that could cause irritation to your dog’s skin and gastrointestinal tract.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed oil
- ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
- Parchment paper
- Shamrock cookie cutter
- Mix flour, carrots and parsley together in mixer
- Add flaxseed oil, mix
- Add beef broth; mix until all dry ingredients are moistened
- Roll dough out on floured surface to a 1/8” thick sheet
- Cut into shamrocks using a cookie cutter
- Place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes
Makes about 10-15 cookies, depending on size of shamrock.
Be sure to let the treats cool thoroughly before giving to your dog. These make great party favors for St. Patrick’s Day guests, or just to spoil your own Irish-loving pup!
Have a Happy St. Patrick’s Day!