Many people enjoy foods made with sourdough bread on Thanksgiving, but ingestion of the dough is actually harmful to dogs and other animals.
According to veterinarians at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, when bread dough is ingested, an animal’s body heat causes the dough to rise in the stomach. And as alcohol is produced during the rising process, the dough expands.
Pets who have eaten bread dough can experience abdominal pain, bloat, vomiting, disorientation and depression.
The APCC warns to not leave pets in the kitchen unsupervised when you’re baking this holiday season, especially if you have a chowhound who’s always on the lookout for food.
In addition to offering poison prevention tips online, the APCC also runs an emergency hotline, (888) 426-4435, that provides 24-hour telephone assistance.