In addition to James, the Springer Spaniel who won the Sporting Group then went on to win Best in Show at the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship on Dec. 3, 2006, several other dogs ranked among the best of the 2,500 entries.
Group winners included:
- Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen Ch. Celestial CJ’s Jolly Fairchild in the Hound Group;
- Portuguese Water Dog Ch. Freestyle Ocean Breeze in the Working Group;
- Sealyham Terrier Ch. Stonebroke Right On The Money for the Terrier Group;
- Toy Poodle Ch. Smash JP Win A Victory in the Toy Group;
- Tibetan Terrier Ch. Players Prodigy for the Non-Sporting Group; and
- German Shepherd Dog Ch. Kaleef’s Geneva Aeval-Achtung in the Herding Group.
Lauren House of Auburn, Calif., along with her Saluki, Ch. Srinagar Raga Bahar, won the Best Junior Handler award for dog handlers under the age of 18. The award includes a $2,000 scholarship.
Golden Retriever Ch. Shalimar’s Sports Illustrated CD, also known as Houston, took the Best Bred-By-Exhibitor in Show award. Over 950 dogs were entered in this competition, which is limited to breeders who also show their own dogs. Houston’s owners, Terri Brennan, Laurie Jordan-Fenner and J. Lewis won a $15,000 cash prize. Jordan-Fenner showed Houston in Long Beach.
For more information about American Kennel Club events, visit www.akc.org