Once you make the decision to add a rabbit (or two) to your family, one of the next big questions is what to name your bunny. If you got your rabbit from a shelter or rescue, then he likely has a name, but it’s your choice whether or not to rename your pet. The possibilities are nearly endless, as inspiration can come from almost anything.
Do you want a rabbit name that suits your pet’s personality? Do you want a rabbit name that highlights how your pet looks? Do you want a rabbit name that fits in with a theme? Do you want a rabbit name that honors a family member or friend, or is just a people name that you like? You could also opt for a rabbit name plucked from pop culture or choose one based on meaning. Or what about a rabbit name that is just made up? These are just some of the questions to get you started.
Popular Rabbit Names
As a comparison, the top three female dog names are Angel, Bella and Daisy. The top three male dog names are Bear, Buddy and Buster. The top female cat names are Angel, Baby and Bella, and the top male cat names at Buddy, Jack and Max.
But how do we get some top rabbit names? We checked the critter names registered on our site and found more than 9,000 small animal pets. More than 2,000 of those were rabbits. The tops 10 names for all species and all sexes are below. A few extra are in there, as some names were a tie.
- Bella and Peanut (tie)
- Isabelle/Isabella/Izzi/Izzy, Buddy and Gizmo (tie)
But enough about the names for all species, right? How about the rabbit names? Rabbit owners made up a good portion of our critter members, so it’s not surprise that many of the same names appear on the rabbit-only list, but a few new ones did make it into the mix. Following are the top names for all rabbits. Again, there are more than 10 because some names tied.
- Bun/Bun Bun/Bunn Bunn
- Coco/Cocoa/Co-Co and Daisy/Daisy Mae/Daisy May (tie)
- Baby, Bella, Bugs/Bugz/Buggs/Buggz/Bugsy/Bugzy, Marshmallow/Marshmellow and Lillie/Lilly/Lily (tie)
What about the top female vs. the top male names? Things get a little more tied up when analyzing this. For one thing, many more names tie with others.
Top 10 Female Rabbit Names
- Lillie/Lilly/Lily, Angel, Thumper (tie)
- Baby, Lola, Marshmallow/Marshmellow, Snowball (tie)
- Coco/Cocoa/Co-Co, Floppers/Flopsy/Floppsy/Flopsey/Floppy/Flopsy Lopsy, Lucy/Lucie (tie)
- April, Cookie/Cooki/Cooky, Bun/Bun Bun/Bunn Bunn (tie)
- Buttercup, Isabelle/Isabella/Izzi/Izzy, Luna, Molly/Mollie (tie)
- Annabelle/Annabell, Sugar/Suger, Tinkerbelle (tie)
Top 10 Male Rabbit Names
- Bun/Bun Bun/Bunn Bunn
- Midnight and Smokey/Smoky (tie)
- Jack, Peter and Bugs/Bugz/Buggs/Buggz/Bugsy/Bugzy (tie)
- Patch/Patches and Charles/Charlie (tie)
- Cinnabun/Cinna-bun/Cinnabunn/Cinnamon, George, Roger, Snickers and Teddy/Teddy Bear (tie)
- 10. Baby and Chester (tie)
Inspiration For Rabbit Names
So, now you have some sense of what the most popular names are for rabbits. But what if none of those names suit your new rabbit? Or what if you want something completely different? A name can be literally anything, but if you’re stumped on where to start, try out some of the following categories to jumpstart your creative thinking.
This includes anything from movies to books to television to cartoons to songs and more. The Twilight series is still influencing names with the powerhouse that is Bella (and variations thereof). For rabbits, the ultimate name seems to be Thumper. This is most likely due to the rabbit of the same name who appeared in the 1942 Disney animated movie “Bambi.” Although the movie was released more than 70 years ago, the name has staying power thanks to re-releases through the years and video, DVD and blu-ray sales and rentals. I don’t know if Thumper was a popular rabbit name before “Bambi” was released, but the movie certainly added to its clout.
Another name option is to go with ancient Greek or Roman gods. Names like Aphrodite, Apollo, Ares, Artemis, Hermes, Jupiter, Mars, Vesta and Zeus are only a few.
Mother Nature is one of the biggest inspirations around. There’s so much you can pull from in nature that subcategories are needed for the category. Consider the following with a few examples for each:
- Weather (Cloud, Snow, Storm, Misty)
- Flowers (Daisy, Rose, Daffodil)
- Plants (Clover, Fern, Ivy)
- Gems (Diamond, Topaz, Opal, Pearl, Ruby)
- Metals (Copper, Silver, Gold)
- Trees (Aspen, Willow, Juniper)
- Planets (Venus, Mars, Jupiter)
- Stars (Betelgeuse, Rigel, Antares)
- Other animals (Moose, Bear, Chipmunk)
- Times of day (Midnight, Twilight, Dawn)
So Goes Thumper…
Besides being a pop culture icon, another reason for the popularity of the name Thumper for rabbits is its descriptive aspect. Other words for noise or movement could also make a great name for your pet.
If you don’t want to name your rabbit after someone you know or someone famous, but you do want to use a name traditionally used by people, here (in alphabetical order) are some of the more common people names used for rabbits.
Any color could be a name. Need inspiration for something special? Check out the names on crayons or the names of paint colors. The basics of black, white, brown, red, green, yellow, blue, orange, pink and purple really get a workout and one could be a perfect name for your new rabbit.
- Fruit (Strawberry, Lemon, Kumquat)
- Candy (Skittles, Marshmallow, Snickers, Twix, Caramel)
- Spices (Salt, Pepper, Sage)
- Cookies (Chocolate Chip, Snickerdoodle, Macaroon)
- Desserts (Sherbet, Strudel, Pudding)
- Snacks (Popcorn, Chips, Pretzel)
- Condiments (Pickles, Mustard, Chutney)
- Soups (Minestrone, Chowder, Bisque)
- Vegetable (Pumpkin, Radish, Arugula)
- Wines (Chardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Noir)
- Nuts (Cashew, Pistachio, Almond)
- Drinks (Mocha, Latte, Milkshake)
- Bread (Muffin, Pumpernickel, Baguette)
This category is another that requires subcategories, because, really, too many people are well known for one reason or another!
- Sports (Brady, Lebron, Usain, Ohno)
- Actor/Actress (Bogart, Meryl, Cumberbatch)
- Singers (Ringo, Beyonce, Rihanna)
- Historical (Julius Caesar, Shakespeare, Pocahontas, Houdini)
Actually this list could go on and on. A few more categories consideration are foreign words, types of fabric, card games, cities, car names and many, many more!
Adding A Dash Of Distinction
Some people enjoy creating especially long names for their pet. Something along the lines of Sir Humphrey Who-Eats-Bananas of Hoppington Hollow. If that seems a bit much, perhaps you just want to add an honorific like Mr., Mrs., Miss, Sir, Lady or Lord. You can also opt to add an actual title like Prince, Princess, Queen or King. After all, your pet is whatever you choose him or her to be in your realm.
I hope this got your mind brimming with ideas and you soon find the perfect name for your rabbit pal!