Quick Tips: Dogs and Chocolate

Although it's a tasty treat for humans, chocolate can be dangerous for dogs.

Always stow chocolate and candy out of reach. “Chocolate is the most common toxicity we treat during the holidays,” said Jeffrey Proulx, DVM, a board-certified emergency veterinarian and staff member at the Dove Lewis Memorial Emergency Veterinary Hospital. Eating even small amounts causes vomiting and diarrhea. Large amounts can cause abnormal heart rhythms and nervous system malfunctions, even death.

If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, induce vomiting and call your veterinarian immediately.

* Excerpted from ‘Tis the Season to Be Safe! by Susan Bertram, DVM

Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Google Plus
Share On Linkedin
Share On Pinterest
Share On Reddit
Share On Stumbleupon
Article Tags:
· · · · · · ·
Article Categories:
Dogs · Health and Care