The dams listed below are top producers according to official AKC records Jan. 1, 2015, through Dec. 31, 2015.
TOP DAM QUESTIONS
1. Provide a brief biography of yourselves and your experience in the sport.
2. Provide a brief biography of your dam’s breeder(s) and background in the sport, if you are not the breeder.
3. Briefly describe the highlights of your dam’s show career.
4. What is significant about the breeding that produced her?
5. What two or three traits do you feel she is particularly strong in passing along to her offspring?
Bronze GCh. Angel Pride Gentle Maid
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Owners: Roxanne Robertson and Johann Emedi
1. My name is Johann Emedi, and together with my wife, Roxanne Robertson, we are the owners of Avatar Kennels ,where we breed and show Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Rottweilers. We have bred and shown multiple BIS and SBIS winners in both breeds. I also am an all-breed handler.
2. Our Cavalier bitch Bronze GCh. Angel Pride Gentle Maid, ‘Maddie,’ has produced eight champions. Last year she produced five champions in one year to qualify as a top-producing dam for 2015. Maddie was bred in Germany by our good friend Tanja Engel of Angel Pride Cavaliers. Tanja is known around the world as a top breeder of Cavaliers and also a dog show judge.
3. Maddie was the No. 1 Cavalier bitch in 2011, and won multiple BOBs and Group placements. She also earned a Bronze Grand Championship in her career.
4. Maddie is the product of top-winning bloodlines from England (Maibee Cavaliers) and Europe (Angel Pride Cavaliers).
5. Maddie is the total dog, having great breed type, movement and temperament. She comes from a long line of correct, winning dogs, so it comes as no surprise that she has produced eight champions. We must mention how we got Maddie. Tanja called in 2010 and said, “Johann, I have a bitch that you need in your breeding program. I’m leaving for vacation in three days, and I will send her to you then.” And the rest is history.
Ch. Alavour Barbara
English Toy Spaniel (Blenheim & Prince Charles)
Owner: Vanessa N. Weber
1. ‘Babs’ came into my life thanks to Daniel Jones Cooper, a friend who had become besotted with Cavaliers and English Toys. We had met in the Cavalier world and eventually began to talk about English Toys.
2. Daniel was a graceful man with a keen eye for art and an appreciation for good animals. His partner, Robert Vice, had similar talents. They purchased a foundation bitch from Elaine Shail named Rosbonny Silvery Moon. Elaine had a lovely line of English Toys (or King Charles as they are known in Europe) known for their soundness and good temperaments.
4. Daniel and Robert decided to breed their bitch to Ch. Loujon Backroad Adventure or ‘Venture’ who was the top dog in the country at the time. Venture was the son of BIS SBIS Ch. Little Artist de Vilfloriane, ‘Archer,’ a Pedigree Award winner, who I had imported from Europe (France and Holland in 1996). The Vilfloriane line was essentially Tudorhurst in origin. Ventures mother was descended from some of the best American stock available at the time (Adair, Kings Court, Darbey and Brynmar).
The ensuing litter produced Alavour Barbara and Alavour Baker. Daniel then asked me to join him in finishing both puppies, so we ended up co-owning the litter, which was a good thing because Daniel died of pancreatic cancer suddenly and unexpectedly in the fall of 2008.
5. After finishing both dogs, I bred Babs three times. The first two times were to outcrosses which produced mixed results. The third time she was bred to a dog who went back to original Tudorhurst stock, and this produced GCh. Travtana Apple From Kenjockety. The last time she was bred back on a lease to an Archer grandson and produced three puppies who all finished. Their sire was Ch. Loujon Thornwood Little Jacob, owned by her handler Karen Miller (see Top Sires).
Ch. Hill Country’s Lovin’ Spoonful ROM
Owners: Kristy and Kevin Ratliff
1. & 2. My husband and I purchased our first show Pug in 2005. Since that time we have trained, shown and finished over 30 champions, and to date, have 34 homebred champions to our credit. We have produced two multiple Best in Show-winning Pugs, numerous Group-placing Pugs, are the breeders of the nation’s No. 1 Pug for the last three years, and the breeders of the nation’s current No. 1 Pug.
3. & 4. ‘Sugar’ was part of a litter that we referred to as the “Fab Five.” She, like her other four siblings, completed her championship with ease, and primarily with majors. This lead to her dam, Ch. Maskarade’s Playin’ For Keeps ROM, being honored in 2012 as the Top Pug Dam.
5. Like her dam, Sugar has been a huge asset to our breeding program and has contributed so many great qualities that we strive to achieve. Sugar has given us beautiful heads, correct structure, and the most flawless movement. Thus far, she has been our most consistent producer, and is most definitely a Top Dam in every sense of the word.
Sugar has produced six beautiful champions. They include multiple breed winners, multiple Group placers, and a multiple Best in Show and multiple Best in Specialty winner, GCh. Hill Country’s Let’s Get Ready To Rumble. Currently, he is the nation’s No. 1 Pug all-breed, all systems.