The dams listed below are top producers according to official AKC records Jan. 1, 2014, through Dec. 31, 2014. Statistics include both Champion and Grand Champion offspring.
TOP DAM QUESTIONS
1. Provide a brief biography of yourselves and your experience in the sport.
2. Provide a brief biography of your dam’s breeder(s) and background in the sport, if you are not the breeder.
3. Briefly describe the highlights of your dam’s show career.
4. What is significant about the breeding that produced her?
5. What two or three traits do you feel she is particularly strong in passing along to her offspring?
Bronze GCh. MACH Medley’s Picante Y Sabrosa RA, MX, MXB, MXJ, MJB, OF, CGC, TT, HOF, ROM
Owner: Christina Caridis
1. I have but a fraction of the breeding experience that other Manchester breeders do, but I am fortunate to have met some amazing mentors in the breed. I believe my success is just a continuity of a beautiful line of dogs involving many breeders over time. ‘Bella,’ Bronze GCh. MACH Medley’s Picante Y Sabrosa RA, MX, MXB, MXJ, MJB, OF, CGC, TT, HOF, ROM, is the foundation bitch for my breeding program, Levendi Manchester Terriers. I chose a lovely unproven stud for her litter, which produced the No. 2 Standard Manchester Terrier and No. 1 bitch in breed standings for 2014: Silver GCh. Medley’s Set Fire To The Rain v Levendi. Bella’s daughter is currently the No. 1 Manchester Terrier in Breed standings for 2015. She also has two other daughters currently ranked in the top 10 in the breed standing.
2. Bella’s breeder, Tammi Myers, created Medley’s a couple of decades ago while breeding Dobermans. Tammi’s foundation Manchester Terrier bitch, Ch. Rainsong’s Heart Breaker Medley, ‘Cricket,’ has produced more than 30 champions over four generations under the Medley’s prefix. Cricket is now 12 years of age, the winner of two National Specialties and the granddam to Bella.
3. Bella’s show career includes BOS wins at the 2009 AKC/Eukanuba National Championship, 2010 Westminster and a couple of regional specialties during Manchester National Specialty weekends. Bella has won several BOV wins with 20 or more entries, which is a large entry in our breed. She also has a couple of Group placements. Recently, Bella achieved her biggest accomplishment by earning the Master Agility Championship.
4. The breeding that produced Bella resulted in Manchesters with sound structure and exceptional temperament. Five of the six get finished their championships and earned performance titles. These traits have also been passed down to the next generation from this breeding.
5. Bella has continued to pass on her sound structure, dark eye, keen spirit and intelligence to her offspring. These traits are highly important to the breed’s form and function.
Walnut Creek Shez Eye Candy
Owners: Candace Lundin and Lynn Norley [Now owned by Melissa Dodge, Candace Lundin and Frank Zureick]
1. Melissa Dodge of Woodsong Kennel in Chester, N.J., and Candace Lundin, DVM, with spouse and handler Frank Zureick, of DBF Russell Terriers in Round Hill, Va., purchased Walnut Creek Shez Eye Candy (UKC GCh. Beau Gosse Of Mayo Land x Rolling Hill Tru Le Zamora) from her breeder Laura Ann Adams in 2011, with the goal of breeding show potential Russell Terriers for the entrance of the breed into the AKC mid-2012. ‘Candy’ became the foundation bitch for both kennels.
2. Born June 4, 2008, Candy was bred by Laura Ann Adams, formerly of Walnut Creek Farm in Georgia.
3. Candy was not shown and had only two litters before she was retired, but she certainly made a mark. Her first litter, sired by GCh. Fransin Jumper in November CM, resulted in the first two AKC champions for the new AKC breed — both Group-placing terriers — GCh. DBF Trophy Wife CM and GCh. Dog Branch Farm’s Hez On Top. Trophy Wife has, thus far, produced eight champions/Grand Champions, including Group-winning GCh. DBF Stanley Cup (sired by GCh. All Jacks Be Special), owned by Peggy Jackson and Dr. Lundin. Stanley Cup holds the title of Junior World Winner 2014 and placed second in the Champion Class in the 2015 World Dog Show. His litter brother, GCh. DBF Hart Trophy, owned by Nita Bitner and Dr. Lundin, is a multiple Group winner and the No. 2 male in breed points in 2014. Another Group-placing Russell out of Trophy Wife is Ch. DBF Woodlawn Vase, owned by Celie Florence, Robin Novak and Dr. Lundin. This bitch is just starting her Specials career. Her litter sister, GCh. DBF The Good Wife CGC, owned by Beth Rounsevell and Dr. Lundin, is the only Russell to have finished a Grand Championship while still a puppy.
Candy’s second litter, sired by MBIS GCh. Goldsand’s Columbus, resulted in six of six pups becoming AKC champions/Grand Champions, two of which have gotten RBIS awards. RBIS GCh. DBF Woodsong Mayflower Madame, owned by Charlene Mascuch and Amy Greene, is a multiple Group winner and currently the No. 1 Russell Terrier bitch in breed points, and RBIS GCh. DBF Woodsong of KCR, owned by Pam Bailey and Dr. Lundin, is a multiple Group winner, No. 5 Russell Terrier in all-breed points in 2014 and already a sire of five champions. The rest of the litter includes GCh. DBF Woodsong Hot In Cleveland (dam of owner-handled Group 1 winner Ch. Woodsong Hot Southern Belle DBF) and Ch. DBF Shez A Golddigger Of Woodsong, both owned by Melissa Dodge and Dr. Lundin; GCh. DBF Woodsong Discover Me Of Crosswind, owned by Mary Litchfield-Reid; and Ch. DBF Woodsong Blazing Heart, owned by Peggy Jackson.
4. Candy represents a cross of Australian and American lines. Jack Russell Terriers (JRTs) originated in the UK, but those exported to Australia became the first officially recognized by any kennel club. Thus, the Australian lines dominate the show rings around the world. However, some American breeders have bred JRTs exported from England, maintaining pedigrees for many years long before the Russell Terrier was accepted into the Foundation Stock Service of the AKC. Candy was a mix of the Australian show JRTs and several American generations of JRTs.
5. Candy’s contributions to the breed include correct proportions in terms of height to length, straight forelegs from the foot to the elbow, and level toplines, along with good ear sets, dark eyes and ring presence.
BIS Am./Can. Ch. McVan’s Northern Lights
Owners: Vandra Huber, Michael Krolewski
1. & 2. AKC Breeders of Merit, Dr. Vandra L. Huber and Michael Krolewski have more than 30 years of experience in Scottish Terriers. Under the McVan prefix, Dr. Vandra L. Huber and husband Michael Krolewski have finished more than 150 American Scottish Terriers. In 2015, Am./Can./Rus./Eng. Ch. McVan’s To Russia With Love went Best in Show at Crufts. Her sister Am./Can. Ch. McVan Be Bop Baby holds the record of 22 specialty wins and is also a Breed winner at Crufts. Dr. Huber was the co-owner of Am./Can. Ch. Gaelforce Postscript, who went Best in Show at the Westminster Kennel Club in 1996.
3. McVan’s Northern Lights, ‘Aurora,’ is an American and Canadian champion. Shown selectively, Aurora was owner-handled to an all-breed Best in Show under Terrier expert Jon Cole. In 2013, she won the Breed at Great Western. In 2015, she received an AOM at the Scottish Terrier Club of America’s Rotating Specialty at 7 years young.
5. In breeding Aurora, I tended to linebreed her but not too tight. More important was ensuring that the stud dogs had attributes that I felt would complement Aurora’s strengths. We bred first for type, health and lastly pedigree. Aurora has passed on her balance, true proportions, beautiful movement, attitude and correct size. All of her puppies are strong movers with good reach and drive, and definitive heads up, tails up attitude.