The profiles below are top producers according to official AKC records from Jan. 1, 2014, through Dec. 31, 2014.
TOP DAM QUESTIONS
1. Provide a brief biography of yourselves and your experience in the sport.
2. Provide a brief biography of your dam’s breeder(s) and background in the sport, if you are not the breeder.
3. Briefly describe the highlights of your dam’s show career.
4. What is significant about the breeding that produced her?
5. What two or three traits do you feel she is particularly strong in passing along to her offspring
GCh. El Jay’s Ima Rox Star At Testadura ROM
Owners: Jessica M. David-Tauber, Judy A. Welch, Jason Tauber, Anne M. David
1. Jessica Tauber, primary owner of ‘Roxy,’ has been in Shar-Pei since 1990. She has bred and shown in conformation under the kennel name Testadura, which belonged to her parents, Anne and Mike David. Today, the family still enjoys the sport together, along with Jessica’s husband, Jason, with Jessica doing the handling.
2. Judy Welch, Roxy’s breeder and co-owner, has been in Shar-Pei since 1985. She has bred and shown in conformation under the kennel name El Jay’s. Roxy’s sire, Ch. El Jay’s Downtown Disney ROM, and dam, Ch. Rickett’s El Jay Edge of Glory ROM, were the top-producing sire and dam of 2012, and Glory was the top-producing dam for a second time in 2013.
3. Roxy was a three-time CSPCA top 25 invitee and AKC/ Eukanuba award of excellence winner. She earned multiple Best in Specialties, received multiple Group placements and achieved her Silver level Grand Championship title.
4. Roxy’s sire and dam are both Register of Merit dogs. They have both held the top sire and top dam awards for multiple years. Roxy received her ROM from her one and only litter that has to date produced five champions, four of which are Grand Champions and three that are Group placers.
5. While I believe Roxy has contributed many great qualities to her offspring, the combination of Roxy and the sire of this litter, Ch. Yu Kou’s Only in America, owned by Georgette Schaefer, produced nice, structurally sound dogs with sound temperaments and fantastic breed type.
Ch. Fabelhaft Peche Mignon Babydoll (Tied)
Owners: Stephen Miller, James Dalton, Robert Smith
1. We, Robert Smith and Stephen Miller of Peche Mignon French Bulldogs, got our first French Bulldog about eight years ago and were immediately hooked, not only on the breed but also on showing in conformation. We produced our first litter about six years ago and have been privileged to have produced multiple Grand Champions and champions over the years. We are both active in our national club (FBDCA), local club (OVFBDC) and local all-breed club.
2. ‘Nana’ was purchased from Fabelhaft French Bulldogs, which is a top-producing kennel and producing some very nice quality at that time.
3. Nana’s show career was short and sweet. Once she received her championship title, she was retired and loves every minute she gets on the couch or bed.
4. Nana was bred by Fabelhaft French Bulldogs along with Safari French Bulldogs. Nana was the product of careful linebreeding with an incredible pedigree, including multiple BIS and SBIS winners.
5. Nana first and foremost has the most loving, laid-back personality that she has passed on to her offspring. We are very fortunate that she was blessed with such great health. She received her CHIC number and passed health clearances in eight areas (our personal goal) and has produced very healthy offspring, some of which have also received their CHIC. Nana was also blessed with a beautiful bite and teeth alignment, which is not often seen in the breed. In three litters Nana produced a multi-BIS winner, seven Grand Champions, one champion and two more that should have their championship titles very soon. This is the second year in which she has been the top-producing French Bulldog dam.
Ch. Harlie’s Custom Nik Nak (Tied)
Owners: Deborah and Travis Teague
1. My son and I have been breeding and showing French Bulldogs for over 10 years. We became Breeders of Merit in just 4 1/2 years with 5 finished champions. My son was #1 French Bulldog Junior Handler 2012 and #2 Non-Sporting Junior Handler 2012. He was one of two finalists in his preliminary at The Garden in 2013. His Junior’s dog, Bronze GCh. Harlie’s Swede Leather, ‘Gus,’ and and a multiple group placer, was a littermate to ‘Niki. ‘ Niki is our second-generation Bred-by.
3. Niki was awarded BOS at a Non-Sporting Specialty by esteemed breeder-judge Patti Sosa.
4. Niki’s sire was Ch. Desert Magic Swede Cactus, ‘Khaki.’ He was owner-handled to 56 BOB, ranked #13 in 2003 in only 4 months of showing, No. 4 in 2004 until being sidelined by a rattlesnake bite and finishing #6. He participated in the FBDCA first-ever Top 20 invitational in 2004, ranked No. 5 for the 2005 AKC/Eukanuba Invitational and invited to the 2011 AKC/Eukanuba Invitational as a Veteran.
5. Niki was awarded wins by both American and Canadian judges. She embodies the French Bulldog standard from her tight toes to her large bat ears. She has correct topline, well balanced and beautiful movement. Not only is she correct breed type but healthy as well, passing all her health tests. She has passed on her body type and beautiful movement to her offspring with 4 AKC champions, one of which, a daughter, is an AKC GCh. and was awarded an Owner-Handler Non-Sporting Group 1 under respected breeder-judge Michael Loller. Niki has a son from her last litter due to enter the agility ring soon.
GCh. KJ’s Purrsonal Opinion
Owner: Traci Wasser
1. I got my first Keeshond in 1980 with my start in showing dogs as a junior handler, although it would be 20 years until I got my next Keeshond. I’m extraordinarily proud of my small breeding program and I owe this recent success to my mentor and friend, Kristen Dowd, who entrusted ‘Frankie’ to me.
2. Kristen Dowd (also the breeder/owner of the 2014 top sire) has been breeding Keeshonden for 35-plus years. She has achieved many successes in the breed, including winning many regional specialties, all-breed Best in Shows and many National wins, including Best of Breed from the Bred-by class.
3. Frankie has taken BOS in sweepstakes and at specialties. Along the way to her championship, she was awarded a Breed win over specials under the late Everett Dean. Frankie was Best of Opposite Sex to her brother (BIS/SBIS GCh. KJ’s Its Nothing Purrsonal) at the 2012 Heritage Trail Keeshond Club Specialty.
4. This breeding not only produced this top dam but also the 2014 top sire, BIS/SBIS GCh. KJ’s Its Nothing Purrsonal, HOF.
5. Frankie passes along her enthusiastic Keeshond temperament, lovely side gait, along with nice fronts and solid rears. Not only have her puppies excelled in the conformation ring, they’re also achieving success in the agility ring as well.
Ch. Kumi Kian Hot Affair
Owners: Barbara J. Wood, Sarah Fitzgerald, Jacqueline Thibaut Eubanks
1. I, Barbara Wood of Anbara Lhasa Apsos, got my first Lhasa in 1968, had my first litter in 1971 and got hooked on showing almost immediately. With limited showing, I have produced three Best in Show dogs, 10 Group winners, about 85 champions, three High in Trial winners, four CD dogs and one CDX. My Ch. Anbara Alasara Smart Aleck, CDX, RE, CGC, is the only dog in the history of the breed to win Best of Breed and High in Trial at our National Specialty. In 2011, I was chosen by the AKC to represent the Non-Sporting Group for the Breeder of the Year and in 2012, the American Lhasa Apso Club recognized me as the Member of the Year. In 1981, I was approved by the AKC to judge Lhasas and now am approved for the Non-Sporting and Toy Groups, plus some Terriers.
2. We, Sarah Fitzgerald and I, acquired Ch. Kumi Kian Hot Affair from friends and breeders Tia McLaughlin and Ann Lanterman. I have known Ann for about 45 years, as I made yearly trips to the Seattle area. Our dear friend, Marianne Nixon of San Jo Lhasa Apsos and her daughter, Leslie Ann Engen, who now breeds exceptional Shiba Inu, mentored us both. Twenty years ago, Tia McLaughlin became involved with Lhasas through Leslie Ann Engen and then joined forces with Ann Lanterman to form the Kumi Kian partnership.
3. In 2010, ‘Airy’ (Ch. Kumi Kian Hot Affair) came to live with me as a 12-week-old puppy, and she was everything I could have ever dreamed about. She finished very quickly and came home to start her Obedience and Rally training. She is also a therapy dog that loves to visit schools, nursing homes and libraries.
5. Airy was bred to our homebred GCh. Alasara Northwind Anbara Maestro, BN, PCD, RN, CGC to produce this outstanding litter of six puppies. This breeding produced beautiful heads, correct balance and lovely movement. I think Airy’s contribution to this litter was balance, size and an outstanding front assembly. The pups, now 3 years old, have brought great pleasure to their owners, which is the most important trait for which we have always strived.
GCh. Wassong’s Djebel Of Lollipop
Owners: Patricia C. Sarles, Kevin F. Wassong
1. Wassong Tibetan Spaniels was established in 1998 and is devoted to their Tibbies. We, Patricia Sarles and Kevin Wassong, believe in breeding and raising fine dogs for companionship, conformation, pet therapy and companion sports. We breed a litter once or twice a year, focusing on temperament, conformation and healthWe believe in the breeding philosophy of the successful horse farms for which we name our dogs: From the best, come the best.
3. We started with Ch. Ambrier Bensar Ruffian Rebel, our first show Tibbie from Mallory Cosby Driskill, and sometime later we got MSBIS Ch. Ambrier’s Nothing Gets Past Zeke. From ‘Zeke’ we produced MBIS MSBIS Wassong’s Djebel Of Lollipop and many other noted champions. ‘Djebel,’ handled by Ernesto Lara, achieved multiple Best in Show and multiple National Specialty breed wins. At AKC/Eukanuba she was the first Tibbie to win a placement in the regular Group, and this past year she won the inaugural Non-Sporting Veteran Group at 9 years of age. She is the top-winning female Tibbie in the history of the breed.
5. In our breeding program, she has produced four champions that are having outstanding show careers. Aside from her beautiful conformation, she has passed on her presence and that winning attitude to all of her get.