Poisoning

Many household substances and plants are toxic to birds.

A pet bird can be poisoned either through inhaling or through ingesting a toxic substance. Airborne toxins include aerosol sprays (i.e., insect repellent), cleaning products, toxic glues, overheated nonstick-coated appliances, smoke, etc. Commonly ingested poisons can include, but are not limited to, toxic plants (i.e., bulb plants, azaleas, holly, English ivy, etc.), items that contain lead (i.e., solder, old paint, leaded glass or framed doors/windows, fishing weights, costume jewelry, antiques, etc.), household cleaners, antifreeze, perfume, mothballs, weed killer, silver/brass polish, etc.

Poisoning is very serious. The poisoned bird may vomit, have difficulty breathing, and have a seizure or fall into a coma. If your bird has gotten a poisonous substance into its eyes, wash them out immediately with slightly warm water. If the bird’s skin has been in contact with a toxic substance, flush it with large amounts of water. Call your veterinarian immediately to let him know you are on your way in with a poisoned bird. Since the bird may go into shock, keep it quiet and calm until you reach the vet’s office. If your vet is not available, call your local poison-control center for assistance on dealing with your bird.

Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Google Plus
Share On Linkedin
Share On Pinterest
Share On Reddit
Share On Stumbleupon
Article Tags:
·
Article Categories:
Birds · Health and Care