Spanish for the “fifth of May,” Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of the Mexican army’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. While Cinco de Mayo is an important day in Puebla where the battle took place, it is not actually as big of a holiday as Mexico’s Independence Day on Sept. 16. Regardless, it has become as good of an excuse as any for folks to drink a margarita or two. From parades and dancing to festivals and Mariachi bands, Cinco de Mayo is a fun time for all, dog’s included!
We’ve found 10 dogs who know how to celebrate the holiday in style. Take advice from these dogs on how to have a great Cinco de Mayo.
1. Try not to get overwhelmed. Finding the perfect sombrero to match your eyes is hard and it might not work out as planned. Just remember Cinco de Mayo is about having fun — you will likely be the only one to notice those sorts of details.
2. Say yes to a mustache. If it’s an option, consider sporting a mustache. A well-groomed mustache is always a nice touch.
4. More is more. Don’t stop at just a sombrero, it’s so cliche. Complete the look with glasses, scarves and a gold chain or two.
5. Take a nap. It’s always good to get a little shut eye before a wild night. Another great reason to wear a sombrero: they make it possible to nap anywhere.
6. Stretch before you go out. You never know what’s going to happen and you want to be prepared should someone notice how good you look in your sombrero and ask you to dance.
7. Make sure you eat something. It’s always best to party on a full stomach. If you are afraid there won’t be food where you are going, bring your own.
8. Keep it cool. It’s easy to get excited by this awesome holiday, but try not to be “that guy.”
9. Always choose a designated driver. Look for someone trustworthy and responsible.
10. Have a safe and happy Cinco de Mayo!
More Funny Dogs