Oregon Public Health officials confirmed that the national outbreak of Salmonella linked to tainted peanut butter products also affects pets. After laboratory testing, Salmonella was identified in a dog from a Douglas County household, according to the state’s department of human services.
Dog biscuits in the household were also found to be contaminated with the bacteria. They contain peanut butter that comes from the Peanut Corp. of America’s Blakely, Ga., plant linked to five human deaths and nearly 600 illnesses.
“The dog biscuits were on the list of products recalled several weeks ago,” Emilio DeBess, Oregon State Public Health veterinarian, said in a statement. The positive test results came from a package of Happy Tails Multi-Flavored Dog Biscuits sold at an Albertsons in Roseburg.
DeBess said this case should serve as a reminder that pet owners need to check not only their own food, but their pet food and treats as well. “If the products contain any peanut butter ingredients, you should check the FDA’s website or contact the manufacturer or the store where they were purchased to see if they are on the recall list,” he said.