Mothballs Can Be Dangerous to Dogs

If your dog eats just one mothball, he can become seriously ill, according to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

Mothballs particularly those containing an ingredient known as naphthalene can be toxic to dogs, cats and other animals, warns the ASPCAs Animal Poison Control Center. The chemical can cause serious illness, including vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and seizures, among other problems.

The ingestion of just one mothball can potentially produce significant illness, said ASPCA spokeswoman Dana Farbman. She also said that care must be taken when using mothballs containing a chemical called dichlorobenzene.

This insecticide is somewhat less toxic than naphthalene, but it can still cause stomach upset and potentially even neurological effects if large enough amounts are consumed.

If you think your dog may have eaten a mothball or any other potentially poisonous substance call your veterinarian or the ASPCAs 24-hour emergency hotline at (888) 426-4435 for assistance.

More information on poison prevention, visit the ASPCAs website

Posted: April 4, 2006, 5 a.m. EST

Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Google Plus
Share On Linkedin
Share On Pinterest
Share On Reddit
Share On Stumbleupon
Article Categories:
Dogs · Health and Care