From the Archives of Dog World: Enjoy this all-access pass to dog history from the pages of the longest published dog magazine. This content remains in its original form and reflects the language and views of its time. Health and behavior information evolves and only the most current advice should be followed.It was a source of much pleasure for us to visit the Milwaukee dog show which took place Feb. 16th and 17th 1918 at the old Walkheim Building, on East Water Street. The building is some 75 or 80 feet wide by about 200 deep and steam heated, well lighted and, in fact, an ideal place to hold a dog show. The show, while but a ribbon and local show, had almost 200 entries.
The Cocker Spaniels were some fine specimens, and there was a great variety of good ones. Next came the French Bulldogs with an entry that would make the last exhibition in Chicago go blushing. The Collies were well represented with a big string from G. A. Landsee Kennels. O. L. Prime had the largest number of Doberman Pinschers it has been our lot to see at one time. The show was superintended by that genial master Mr. Louis Hirsch, ably assisted by J. B. Pollworth, as well as the Secretary of the Club Mr. J. H. Hoffmann. The Veterinarian Dr. M. E. Sullivan, did his work with neatness and dispatch, his hawk eye with its microscopic intensity quickly discovered all wingless insects, and none who possessed the same were allowed to remain for the big show. In fact we wish to congratulate the Doctor on his careful work, which was the best we have seen for some time. One thing we would suggest, however, and that is that the Vet’s. hands could be disinfected after each examination to good advantage.
The show was one of those great big family gatherings and everyone was welcome. No complaints were heard; in fact, we doubt if any could be as all were treated alike. We were there the first day only and the judging took place in the evening.
Excerpted from Dog World, March, 1918. Vol. 3, No. 2. For back issues of Dog World, click here.