What would you do if you came home from an errand to find your house on fire – flames everywhere – and you knew your dog was inside? I’m sure a number of thoughts might run through every dog parent’s mind at that moment. For Mark Woodbury of Rutherford, New South Wales in Australia, there was only one option: run in the house and save Ditch, the 4-year-old German Shepherd rescue he’d adopted.
“There was no way I was going to let my dog burn to death,” Woodbury told The Maitland Mercury. “My dog is everything to me.”
It took three tries because of the smoke and heat, but Woodbury was able to find Ditch, pick him up, and carry him out of the fire-engulfed home, The Maitland Mercury reports. He performed CPR on Ditch until a paramedic arrived and gave the dog oxygen. Ditch was then taken to the Rutherford RSPCA where he was treated at the facility’s veterinary emergency department. He is now in stable condition.
Woodbury, who did not have home and contents insurance, told The Maitland Mercury, “I’ve lost all of my kitchen, all of my appliances, my laundry, my furniture, but it’s my dog, that’s the important thing. He would have died in there if I hadn’t gone in.”