A nutrient-rich organ meat, liver is a good source of protein, fat, and A, B, and C vitamins. Liver also provides dogs with copper, iron, niacin, phosphorus and zinc and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. If fed in moderation liver can be a delicious and nutritious treat for your dog. Most dogs enjoy the flavor of liver, so it’s not difficult to get this nutrient packed snack into their diet.
Although liver is good for humans and dogs, not everyone likes to prepare it. Liver shy? Try out these easy recipes using freeze-dried liver. Make these homemade liver treats for your dog.
- 1/2 cup freeze-dried liver
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped) or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheight
- Place the liver in a blender and blend to a powder. Depending on how soft your liver is, you might be able to do this with a fork.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface.
- Roll out the dough to 1/2-inch thickness, and cut out shapes with a 2-inch cookie cutter.
- Put the cookies on a baking sheet, 1/2 inch apart.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 17 minutes. When done, the treats should be firm to the touch.
- Turn the oven off, and leave the treats in for 1 to 2 hours to harden.
Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to three weeks.
Yield: Approximately 40 treats
Treats should be fed in moderation. Consult your veterinarian any time you are making changes to your dogs food or diet.
More liver dog treat recipes: