The average kitten begins litterbox training between 4 and 6 weeks of age. Here are some tips to keep in mind as you begin the process.
1. Do keep your kitten’s litterbox clean.
2. Do have more than one litterbox in your home.
3. Do pay attention to your kitten’s litter preferences.
4. Do consider sandlike litters.
5. Do keep your kitten’s litterbox in a secluded area.
6. Don’t use perfumed litters.
7. Don’t use clumping litter with kittens younger than 4 months old.
8. Don’t keep the litterbox near food or water bowls.
9. Don’t use ammonia-based cleaners on the litterbox.
10. Don’t allow dogs, children or other cats to deny your kitten access to its litterbox.