The themes for the 2013 Kittens USA photo contest are Cuddly Kittens and Unlikely Friends. For Cuddly Kittens, send in your best photo of two or more kittens cuddling up together. For Unlikely Friends, submit your best photo of your kitten hanging out with his best friend of another species, such as a dog, rabbit, bird or other pet. No people, please.
The first-, second- and third-place winners in each category will receive a selection of books about cats and kittens from Bow Tie Press and “Cat Calls” from Square One Publishers. The judges may also choose to honor various entries with honorable-mention status (no prizes awarded). Winning photos will appear in the 2014 edition of Kittens USA. All entries must be postmarked no later than Jan. 1, 2013.
Clarity and good composition are essential in producing a winning photograph. Make sure your kitten is the photo’s main subject. Although props can add to the appeal, too much background clutter will compete with your kitten.
We accept digital images or color prints. Slides, computer printouts, photocopies and self-developing photos will not be accepted. Please make sure your digital entries are large enough. See guidelines below.
• Send a color photo of your kitten. Make sure your picture is clearly focused, with your kitten as the main subject.
• Each entry must have a completed entry form taped to the back of the photo; if submitted via email, be sure to include all requested information, including the kitten’s name, age and breed; the photographer’s name; and the owner’s name, address, telephone number and email address. Indicate which category you are entering: Sleeping Cuties or Send in the Clowns. Do not write directly on the backs of prints; it causes lines and dents.
• Send digital entries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Type “Kittens USA Photo Contest” in the subject line. Send photos as attachments in TIFF, JPEG or EPS formats. Images must be at least 4 by 4 inches at 300 dpi resolution.
• Send only previously unpublished photos. Each person may submit up to three entries per category. One prize per person.
• Any amateur photographer may enter, except employees of BowTie Inc., the sponsor and their families.
• All entries become the property of Kittens USA and will not be returned. Entrants certify that they own the animals photographed or have the owners’ permission to enter the photos.
• Winners will be chosen by judges selected by Kittens USA. All decisions are final.
• Entries must be postmarked by Jan. 1, 2013. Send entries to Kittens USA 2011 Photo Contest, P.O. Box 6050, Mission Viejo, CA 92690-6050.