Answer the following seven questions to find out if your town is a great place to be a dog – or dog owner. Keep track of your answers and tally up your points!
1. Finish this sentence: In my town, …
a) People have more dogs than kids! (2 points)
b) Dogs are a common sight. (1 point)
c) I’m one of the few dog owners. (0 points)
2. How far is the nearest fenced-in dog park by car?
a) Less than 10 minutes. (2 points)
b) Between 10 and 20 minutes. (1 point)
c) What dog park? (0 points)
3. How many restaurant meals can you eat with your dog in one day without going to the same place twice – or leaving your city?
a) Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (2 points)
b) Breakfast and lunch. (1 point)
c) One meal. (0 points)
4. Your best friend is going to visit with her dog, but she can’t stay with you. How many hotels in your city will accept her dog?
a) Three or more. (2 points)
b) One or two. (1 point)
c) None. (0 points)
5. How many veterinarians practice in your city?
a) They’re everywhere, like Starbucks. (2 points)
b) Not sure, but there seem to be plenty. (1 point)
c) None. I drive to another town to see my veterinarian. (0 points)
6. Are there laws in your town that are intended to protect dogs?
a) Yes. (1 point)
b) No. (0 points)
7. Finish this sentence: In my town, …
a) Every weekend there seems to be another dog event, like a dog show or festival. (2 points)
b) Dog events – like a costume parade or dog walk-a-thon – happen every few months. (1 point)
c) I have to leave town to attend a dog event. (0 points)
Maureen Kochan is a DOG FANCY contributing editor.