Eight varieties of Goldenfeast exotic bird food have been voluntarily recalled because of potential Salmonella contamination linked to parsley flakes, the Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, company reported Monday.
The parsley ingredient was supplied to Goldenfeast Inc. by Specialty Commodities Inc., which in February began a voluntary recall of flakes distributed to a number of pet food manufacturers.
No human or pet illnesses have been reported in connection with the parsley flakes, Goldenfeast reported. Symptoms of salmonella poisoning in animals include lethargy, diarrhea, fever and vomiting. People who handle contaminated pet products may show similar symptoms.
The recalled food includes all package sizes but only selected best-by dates.
- Australian Blend: May 31, 2013, through October 31, 2013
- Bean Supreme: July 31, 2013, through December 31, 2013
- Caribbean Bounty: July 31, 2013 through September 30, 2013
- Gardenflora: July 31, 2013, through Feburary 28, 2014
- Petite Hookbill: June 30, 2013, through October 31, 2013
- Schmitts Original: July 31, 2013, through August 31, 2013
- Basics Plus Finch: August 31, 2013, through February 28, 2014
- Basics Plus Parakeet: August 31, 2013, through February 28, 2014
The recalled bird food was distributed to retailers and distributors in Canada and 23 states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Idaho, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Washington, Wisconsin and Virginia.
Anyone who purchased one of the recalled products may inquire about a refund by calling Goldenfeast at 800-344-6536 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT Monday through Friday.
Check out previous recalls. (Note: Some of these recalls have ended; see each article for expiration dates and other information.)
- Magnolia Recalls Selected Bird Foods Due to Salmonella Threat (Posted: November 19, 2012)
- ZuPreem FruitBlend Recall (Posted: October 1, 2012)
- Land O’Lakes Animal Food Recall (Posted: July 23, 2012)
- Lafeber Recall (Posted: July 20, 2012)
- PMI Nutrition Recall (Posted: July 5, 2012)
- Kaytee Recall (Posted: April 17, 2012)
- Kaytee Recall (Posted: February 21, 2013)
- Wildwood Seed Recall (Posted: October 26, 2012)