Liver is an excellent source of protein and provides several B vitamins, as well as vitamins A and C. Liver also contains minerals, such as selenium, copper, iron and zinc, all which can benefit your dog’s health. Liver is considered to be a super food and is known to boost energy, brain power and muscle growth in humans.
Most dogs adore liver, so it’s easy to incorporate this healthful organ meat into your dog’s diet. It’s fun to give your dog a special snack, but even more fun when you know it is good for your dog too! Try this easy recipes to prepare some nutritious, delicious homemade dog treats.
- 1/2 pound fresh liver
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (Please do not use fresh garlic. Learn more>> )
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a blender, mix the liver, eggs and water.
- Add the flour and garlic powder and mix well.
- Pour into a 9- by 12- by 2-inch baking pan and spread evenly in the pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- When done, the mixture should be dry on top and firm to the touch. Cool the mixture in the pan, then cut into 1- by 2-inch strips or rounds.
Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to three weeks.
Yield: Approximately 50 strips
Treats should be fed in moderation. Consult your veterinarian any time you are making changes to your dogs food or diet.
More liver dog treat recipes: