If you plan to attend the 2010 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, Feb. 15 and 16 at Madison Square Garden in New York City, don’t miss five other attractions geared toward dog lovers:
1. A popular New York tourist attraction, the Empire State Building at 350 5th Ave., will feature a Westminster exhibit in its lobby display windows during January and February. To further honor the show, the tower lights will shine in the Westminster colors of purple and gold on the two evenings of the show.
2. All dog lovers should visit the William Secord Gallery, the only gallery of its kind in North America specializing in fine 19th- and 20th-century dog and animal paintings, located at 52 East 76th St., 3rd floor. From Feb. 13 to March 27, 2010, the gallery will have a special Westminster exhibit featuring the dog portraits of Pamela Hall.
- Opening reception: Saturday, Feb. 13, 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Special Westminster hours: Feb. 14 to 16: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Regular gallery hours: Monday through Saturday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
For more information contact the William Secord Gallery at 212-249-0075 or email@example.com.
3. Angel On A Leash is holding a fundraising event open to the public on Saturday evening, February 13, at the Affinia Hotel. Special guests will be past Westminster Best-In-Show winning dogs. Ticket information is available at www.angelonaleash.org. Angel on a Leash creates therapy dog programs in healthcare facilities and other settings across the country.
4. Another fundraising event, put on by Take The Lead, takes place on Monday evening, Feb. 15, at Madison Square Garden following Group judging. Ticket information available at www.takethelead.org. Take The Lead is a not-for-profit foundation, providing direct services, support and care for people in the sport of purebred dogs who suffer the devastation of life-threatening or terminal illness, many of whom do not have the advantages of health insurance.
5. Skybark, a nightclub-type event that allows dogs, will kick off the festivities on Friday evening, Feb. 12 at 9 p.m. at the Pennsylvania Hotel’s Penn Top Ballroom, 18th floor, 401 7th Ave., across the street from the Garden. For more information, go to: www.bringfido.com/event/2066