When a fire broke out in a home in Mulberry, Florida, the firefighters who arrived on the scene ensured that even the tiniest, furriest members of the family were safely away from the flames.
Polk County firefighter John Williams was searching the house when he saw a small cage containing a guinea pig named Rodney, TODAY reports. He swiftly picked up the cage and carried Rodney outside, where he would receive treatment for smoke inhalation. (Yes, believe it or not, the fire department had a guinea pig-sized oxygen mask).
When Kristi Waller arrived at her home, she couldn’t believe what had happened — on a number of levels.
“I sank to my knees and held Rodney while they treated him,” she told TODAY. “My daughters were relieved he was all right. My neighbors brought over bedding and water for Rodney.”
The fire started when Waller’s boyfriend dropped a pan while cooking french fries. He received minor burns on his face, but the kitchen quickly burst into flames. According to Waller, the family “lost everything” in the blaze, although thankfully, Rodney was saved.
“He is OK!” Waller wrote on Facebook. “Back to his spoiled little self. He’s very bossy! We love him! He will take his donations in carrots.”
The family has set up a GoFundMe to help replace clothing, furniture and other items that were burned in the fire.