Organizers today announced that “The Friskies” will return for a second year. Compelling cat videos can win a $5,000 cash prize and a custom-made gold plated Friskies Catuette, and participate in the live Award Show in New York City this Oct. 15, 2013.
Cat video creators can upload videos up to two minutes long at www.TheFriskies.com. Entrants have until Jul. 15, 2013, to enter videos in one of four categories:
• Cat Comedy: Cat(s) in an humorous situation
• Catventure: An indoor cat adventure
• Rescue Cat: Cat(s) adopted from a rescue group or shelter enjoying life
• Pursuit of Food/Treat: Cat(s) pursuing or engaging with their cat food or treat(s)
Judges will evaluate each entry selecting 20 Semi-Finalists, five from each category based on these qualities: Originality and overall artistic impression (25%), audience appeal and entertainment quality (25%), sense that there’s a story being told (25%) and portraying cat’s perspective (25%). Judges are stars in the cat video arena themselves:
• Will Braden: Creator of “Henri le Chat Noir”
• Mick Szydlowski: 2012 “The Friskies” Grand Prize Winner for “Oskar’s First Toys”
• Abbie Moore: Executive Director, Adopt-a-Pet.com
See an exclusive interview with Will Braden and watch Henri’s videos here >>
“The Friskies” debuted in 2012 as the major award show for the best new Internet cat videos of the year sponsored by Friskies cat food. Renowned comedian and cat owner Michael Ian Black will host the Award Show on Oct. 15, 2013 in New York City to award $25,000 in cash prizes to winners in four categories and the popular Fan Favorite from 12 finalists. Category winners will be determined by public vote, and Fan Favorite will be chosen by public text vote on the day of the Award Show. The show will be broadcast live on TheFriskies.com. Friskies also will award more than 250,000 cans of Friskies cat food to 20 cat charity organizations nationwide as part of the program.