There are plenty of books filled with doggie delights, but the one that caught my eye this month was The Healthy Hound Cookbook (Adams Media, $12.96). From raw food to paleo you’ll find recipes and techniques for cooking for dog’s on any diet, along with a handy portion calculator to adjust serving sizes according to breed. Authors Paris Permenter and John Bigley have crafted more than 125 nutritious recipes using healthy, fresh ingredients from your kitchen. Some pf the treats you can even share with the dog (if he’ll let you.)
Checkout this tasty treat for dogs and mom to share!
Peanut Butter and Applesauce Dog Biscuits From The Healthy Hound Cookbook– reprinted with permission.
These yummy snacks a perfect way to celebrate Mom’s Day and your house will smell like peanut butter cookies while these tasty treats are in the oven! Be sure to keep the biscuits fairly uniform in size so they will bake and brown evenly in the oven.
Yields: 3 dozen treats
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup organic peanut butter
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease two cookie sheets.
- Mix all ingredients, stirring until well-mixed and ready for kneading. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface. Depending on the oil in your peanut butter, you might have to add a teaspoon of olive oil if you find the mixture is a little too crumbly.
- Roll the dough out to about ¼-inch thickness then cut the dough in desired shapes and place on your cookie sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from the oven and cool completely before serving or refrigerating.
Looking for more tasty snacks you can share with your dog?