What do you get the love of your life when he has four paws? How about making your two- and four-legged family and friends a tasty snack they can enjoy together? Cut your holiday baking (and mess) in half with cookies that everyone will love.
The recipe was provided Harvey Morris, creator of the Baked Chicago blog. Harvey first created this recipe over 10 years ago for his black pugs, Buddy and Rhoda. It was one of their favorite dog treats. Harvey was inspired to use human-grade ingredients because he wanted to feed his dogs unprocessed foods that were good for them – and he had 13 nieces / nephews who were (at that time) under the age of 18. Many of the toddlers were known to share their treats with the Pugs and even drop them on the floor when they were no longer hungry. If that happened with the biscotti, it didn’t matter if a dog or another kid picked it up and ate it!
Peanut Butter-Banana Biscotti, with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese-Yogurt Icing
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (we used gluten free flour and it worked great too)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3 bananas, pureed
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Steps to Make Doggie Biscotti
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Place flour and baking soda in large bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In another bowl, blend egg, vanilla, peanut butter, oil and banana together. Add into the well of the dry ingredients. Start combining together. Add water, one teaspoon at a time as needed.
- Knead by hand on table until mixed thoroughly. Form into logs approximately 2″ in diameter. Flatten so that log is 6″ – 7″ wide by 1″ high. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Slice into 1/2″ slices. Place on baking sheets and continue to bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, mix the peanut butter, yogurt and cream cheese until smooth. Mix in one tablespoon of flour at a time until you have the consistency and texture you want. Drizzle the icing lightly on the biscotti and let set.
**Recipe makes approximately one dozen biscotti.
Once your Biscotti are cooled, eat and enjoy!
Or if you want to share it, package it in cellophane, add some ribbon to make it festive for any occasion. If you want to make it extra special, package it with coffee for the human and chicken broth for the dog in a cute cup or dog dish. Not only will and dog lover in your life enjoy these tasty snacks, but you’ll score extra points with the dog!