Dog Mistakenly Given Euthanasia Survives

Sugar was brought into a vet's office to treat an ear infection when she was mistakenly given euthanasia drugs.

Written by
Sugar is a little Shih Tzu who was mistakenly given euthanasia drugs and survived after several days of treatment. Via Brittany Turnbill/Facebook
John Virata

Brittany Turnbill of Brownsville, Ohio, took her dog, Sugar, to the veterinarian to treat an ear infection. The dog was given, mistakenly, euthanasia drugs instead. The vet realized a mistake was made and told Turnbill that she had to take the little Shih Tzu to the Med Vet clinic in Columbus, Ohio, immediately, Turnbill wrote on her Facebook page.

The clinic staff received Sugar March 4 and immediately began treatment to metabolize the drugs that were mistakenly given to her, but the next 24 hours were critical. On March 6, Turnbill wrote on her Facebook page that the ventilators that helped Sugar breathe were removed and she maintained good vital signs. On March 7, Sugar finished a jar of baby food and a tube was removed from her throat. Turnbill wrote that her dog recognized the family and they were able to hold her for the first time.

Posted by Brittany Turnbill on Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Sugar was lucky to survive. She was released March 9 and is currently on six medications for her eye and two medications for her ear.

“Today she seemed even more like herself and we have a follow-up appointment in a week to check her eye,” Turnbill wrote on her Facebook page. “So far there seems to be no permanent damage thank you God! I cannot say thank you enough for the wonderful doctors and staff at Med Vet Columbus, without them I wouldn’t have my baby back.”

Posted by Brittany Turnbill on Tuesday, March 7, 2017

While it may seem rare, mistakes at the vet do happen. There was no mention as to how the mishap occurred at the veterinarian’s office, nor how Sugar’s hospital bills will be paid. But, according to Turnbill, Sugar seems to be on the road to recovery.

Article Categories: