Family Issues Warning To Pet Owners After Dog Eats Ornament And Dies

The Pospisil family's pet had to be put to sleep after the young dog ate a homemade ornament, and they don't want the same thing to happen to you.

Written by
The Pospisil family is warning pet owners about the dangers of salt-dough ornaments after putting their dog down. Via Hope Pospisil/Facebook

This Christmas will not be so merry for the Pospisil family, after having to say good-bye to their dog, Lexi.

The 2 1/2-year-old dog ate a holiday ornament made of salt dough when nobody was looking, and had to be euthanized, Fox 8 Cleveland reports.

In a warning to other pet owners posted on Facebook, Hope Pospisil said Lexi seemed to act normal at first, but when the family returned home that evening, their beloved dog was clearly very sick.

With tear filled eyes, I’m writing this as a warning to everyone. Lexi snuck downstairs today around 7-8am and ate Alice…

Posted by Hope Pospisil on Tuesday, December 15, 2015

“She had peed all through her kennel and was shaking uncontrollably. She couldn’t even make it back up the stairs, as she fell backwards,” Pospisil wrote.

When they took Lexi to the vet, she had a temperature of 107 degrees Fahrenheit (a dog’s normal temperature is around 101 and 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit), and the toxic level of salt in the ornament had already caused neurological damage.

With very few options on how to save Lexi, and time running out, the Pennsylvania family made the tough decision to have her humanely put to sleep.

The family is understandably heartbroken after losing their canine companion. But hopefully, if there is any good to come out of this tragedy, it’s that their story will serve as a cautionary tale and help prevent other pet owners from having to go through the same ordeal this Christmas.

Share On Facebook
Share On Twitter
Share On Google Plus
Share On Linkedin
Share On Pinterest
Share On Reddit
Share On Stumbleupon
Article Categories: