This fun, DIY project is perfect as a gift for a friend, to keep for yourself, or an amazing idea for a crafting party! The skies the limit for this simple craft and you do not need to be an excellent artist for yours to turn out great.
- Square ceramic tiles, any color/size you wish, I used white 4-in. tiles
- Paint pens that work on ceramics. I used Painters and Craftsmart
- Cork board square cut 1/4-in. smaller than your tiles. For example, my cork board square is 3.75 in.
- Stencils, drawings to trace, a picture, etc. You can download and use mine here.
- Graphite paper – black for light tiles, white for dark tiles
- Hot glue gun & glue
Steps for DIY Cat Coaster:
1. Find a design you wish to use on your tile, or create your own. I created my own on tracing paper with a great Irish saying on it, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
2. Follow directions on the graphite paper. Carefully place the graphite paper on top of the ceramic tile, graphite side down. Place Artwork on top of paper and trace with stylus, pencil or pen.
TIP: I found that with the lighter color pens, the graphite shows through. You may want to freehand any design that you plan on doing in a light color, rather than use the graphite. For my design, I freehanded the lettering because the light green showed the graphite.
3. Paint your design in. If you are going to do two colors, like I did on the shamrocks and cat, wait until the first color is completely dry, then add second color.
TIP: Do the inside color first, and then paint outlines. It is easier to get clean lines this way
4. Once your paint is dry (I let it sit overnight), BAKE in the oven at 350 degree for 30 minutes. This step is extremely important. If you do not do this, your design will scrape off.
5. Hot Glue cork Board to bottom of Coaster
That’s it, just 5 steps and you have a cute coaster. You can also put your design a matching mug, perfect for Irish coffee on St. Patrick’s Day.
Check back next month for our fun DIY Easter Egg Cat Toy!