You’ve read in the July issue of CAT FANCY about feline CSI and how a veterinary forensics team helps cats. Here are some tools and techniques investigators use to collect evidence at crime scenes:
• BlueStar — a chemical compound that turns hidden blood into a bright, fluorescent blue color for better detection
• BlueMaxx — an alternative light source used to find fibers, hair and fluids at crime scenes that can be used as evidence
• Digital microscope and digital X-ray machine
• Forensic botany — the science of using plant-related materials to help solve crimes
• Forensic entomology — the science of using insect evidence to help solve crimes
• Phenolphthalein — a chemical compound that causes blood to turn bright pink in color
Click here to view footage from the ASPCA’s mobile forensic van (footage courtesy of ASPCA).
Click here to see a slide show from the Elk County, Pa., animal rescue case from June 2010.