1. The importance of socializing a Chow Chow from an early age cannot be overemphasized.
2. Chow breeders should only breed from dogs with friendly, sound temperaments.
3. A Chow must be handled and loved as a puppy or else he will not be easy to approach as an adult.
4. Socializing your puppy includes handling him, petting him, accustoming him to having his mouth and feet touched, introducing him to all family members, acquainting him with strangers, allowing him to meet and play with other dogs, taking him to different places in the car … the list goes on!
5. Socialization is an ongoing process, starting from puppyhood, in which you try to make your Chow as well rounded, well adjusted and open to new things as possible.
Reprinted from Breeders Best: Chow Chow 2004. Permission granted by Kennel Club Books, an imprint of BowTie Press.