A veterinarian is your pet’s second-best friend. When selecting a veterinarian, you’re doing more than searching for a medical expert. You’re looking for someone to meet your needs and those of your pet, a doctor who has people as well as animal skills.
Here are some tips from the University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine that will aid you in your search for a great veterinarian:
- Look for a veterinarian who willingly answers your questions.
- Watch how the vet handles your dog.
- Your vet should provide emergency medical care 24 hours a day, seven days a week in some form, even if it is just to refer you to another location.
- Be sure the staff is friendly and helpful, as you may be dealing with them even more than the veterinarian.
- Look for a waiting area that is large enough to accommodate pets and owners without crowding and has a separate waiting area for dogs, cats and other animals.