Q. What foods should a dog never eat? I know they can’t have chocolate, but what else?
A. It might be useful to review the food products that are poisonous or dangerous for dogs:
1. Chocolate in large amounts can cause agitation, seizures and death. The higher the baker’s (dark) chocolate content, the more toxic the chocolate.
2. Macadamia nuts and avocados cause weakness, vomiting and tremors, but fortunately are rarely fatal if eaten in small amounts.
3. Rawhides and chew bones can get stuck in a dog’s esophagus if swallowed too quickly, or if they are too small or large for the dog. This will cause extensive drooling and eventually damage to the esophagus.
4. Bread dough will ferment in your dog’s stomach, and can cause serious alterations to their metabolism.
5. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in some dogs.
6. Baked goods and chewing gum with Xylitol, a synthetic sweetener, can cause liver failure and death when eaten by dogs.
To see a complete list of products that can be poisonous to your dogs, go to the Association for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)’s website at ASPCA.org.