Petco Foundation, the charitable arm of San Diego-based Petco, is giving away $200,000 in celebration of raising more than $100 million for dog and cat welfare charities since the organization’s 1999 founding.
“This is huge milestone for the Petco Foundation,” executive director Paul Jolly said of the $100 million achievement. “We cannot say thank you enough for the great work of all of our charitable partners and pet lovers who have supported our work for animals for more than 13 great years.”
As part of the “100 Celebration” campaign, 100 animal welfare charities will receive $1,000 each. Petco associates selected the finalists from among 7,500 animal welfare groups.
The public will select 10 of the finalists to receive an additional $10,000. Voting runs through noon EDT Oct. 5. Visit the Petco Foundation Facebook page, and click on the “100 Celebrations” tab and the “Vote to Save Lives” button.
As of today, the top vote-getters were:
1. Cat House on the Kings, Parlier, Calif. (2,445 votes)
2. The Fix Foundation, Franklin, Ky. (2,437)
3. Labradors and Friends Dog Rescue Group, San Diego (1,621)
4. Old Dog Haven, Arlington, Wash. (1,581)
5. Kentuckiana Pug Rescue, Louisville, Ky. (1,548)
6. Adopt a Greyhound Atlanta Inc., Atlanta (1,482)
7. Whiskers, Tails and Ferals, Napa, Calif. (1,472)
8. Rescue House, Encinitas, Calif. (1,466)
9. Puppy Power Rescue, Belle Chasse, La. (1,426)
10. Phoenix Animal Rescue, Chester Springs, Pa. (1,408)
Another group hoping to get into the top 10 is The Cat Adoption Team in Sherwood, Ore.
“The Petco Foundation has done so much in supporting us as we help countless pets in our community,” team member Sharon Sipprell said. “We are thrilled to hear we will be receiving the $1,000, and we were elated to find out we are in the running for $10,000. [It is] an enormous sum for a local community group like ours, and it could do so much to really help a lot of our animals.”
The $10,000 winners will be announced by Oct. 12.
The foundation obtains about $15 million a year through seasonal fundraisers conducted in Petco’s 1,000-plus U.S. stores as well as from store associates, vendors and corporate contributions.