Blue Buffalo Company has issued a voluntary recall of its Cub Size Wilderness Wild Chews Bones. The Wilton, CT-based company is recalling one lot of the product due to the possibility that the lot was contaminated with salmonella.
The recall was issued after routine testing showed the presence of salmonella in the product. To date, no illnesses have been reported and no other Blue Buffalo products have been affected. However, salmonella can affect animals and people. In dogs and other pets, salmonella infections may cause abdominal pain, decreased appetite and fever as well as vomiting, lethargy and diarrhea or bloody diarrhea. If your dog has consumed the recalled product and has any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian. People with salmonella infections may experience abdominal cramping, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, nausea or vomiting. Though rare, individuals may also experience such serious ailments as arthritis, endocarditis, eye irritation, arterial infections, muscle pain and urinary tract symptoms. If you or someone in your household has been exposed to the recalled product and experiences any of these symptoms, contact your doctor.
The recalled product was distributed to PetSmart stores in California, Washington, Kansas, Utah, Michigan, Oregon, Minnesota, Nevada and Montana. The product was packaged in shrink-wrapped plastic with UPC number 840243110087 and expiration date November 4, 2017 (exp 110417). The UPC number is printed on a sticker and the expiration date is located directly on the shrink wrap.
To find out if you have the recalled product, check the package for the UPC number and expiration date. If you do have a recalled package of Cub Size Wilderness Wild Chews Bones, dispose of the product or return it to the place of purchase for a full refund.
If you have questions regarding this recall, contact Blue Buffalo at (888) 641-9736 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern Time. You may also email Blue Buffalo at Bluebuffalo4260@stericycle.com for more information.