By Anton J. Souza and Kirra MacDonald
Who is this rascally rodent’s Hollywood agent? The hamster has managed to burrow his way into the upper echelon of “Hamsterwood,” working with the likes of Terry Gilliam, Jodie Foster, Eddie Murphy and others. Just look at these amazing hamster movie-career highlights.
Between 1996 and 2001, Eddie Murphy swept the hamster market with no less than four films that featured hamsters: Dr. Dolittle, The Nutty Professor, and their sequels. His popular remake of the movie The Nutty Professor had many hamsters, the most unforgettable being the genetically altered gigantic hamster that wreaked havoc.
Babs the Hamster is one of three animal stars in the animated film Second Star To The Left  from MGM. Babs the hamster teams with Archie the Rabbit and Duke the Guinea Pig to deliver a Christmas present that fell from Santa’s sleigh to a young girl.
Although it was merely a bit part, Brownie the method actor hamster had a crucial and very convincing role as a hamster in Terry Gilliam’s 1994 sleeper 12 Monkeys. Look for the DVD bonus “making of” documentary titled The Hamster Factor. The “hamster factor” of the title refers to Gilliam (former member of the Monty Python comedy troupe) and his absurd attention to detail, as I’m sure Brownie can attest.
Also of interest is the 1977 Jodie Foster film The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane. It tells the story of a lonely 15-year-old girl and her only friend, a hamster named Gordon.
Check Out These Other Hamster Films:
- Aliens (1986): In one scene in this science-fiction blockbuster, hamsters set off motion detectors before marines bust down a door and “detect” them.
- Houseguest (1995): In this movie comedian Sinbad has a hamster named Shaft, after the Richard Roundtree blaxploitation classic.
- Night of the Hell Hamsters (2006): A young couple unwittingly brings about the apocalypse — by possessed hamsters.
- Bolt (2008): A hamster named Rhino accompanies the canine star of a fictional show that believes his powers are real on a cross country trek to save his co-star.
- Etienne! (2009): After a man finds out that his best and only friend, a dwarf hamster named Etienne, has terminal cancer, he decides to take his pocket pet on a bicycle road trip to show him the world before he has to put him to sleep.
- G-Force (2009): In one scene of this movie, G-Force meets a hamster while trapped in a pet shop display case.
Excerpt from the Popular Critters Series magabook Hamsters with permission from its publisher, Lumina Media.