The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals will recognize books based on their exemplary handling of subject matter pertaining to animals and the environment in June. The 2007 ASPCA Henry Bergh Children’s Book Awards will be presented at the American Library Association’s annual conference in Anaheim, Calif., the ASPCA announced this week when it revealed the award winners.
The awards and recipients are:
- Non-Fiction Companion Animals: “Hanni and Beth: Safe and Sound,” by Beth Finke, Blue Marlin Publications
- Fiction Companion Animals: “Before You Were Mine,” by Maribeth Boelts, G.P. Putnam’s Sons
- Non-Fiction Environment and Ecology: “Being Caribou,” by Karsten Heuer, Walker & Company
- Fiction Environment and Ecology: “Old Mother Bear,” by Victoria Miles, Chronicle Books
- Non-Fiction Humane Heroes: “Turtle Summer,” by Mary Alice Monroe, Sylvan Dell Publishing
- Fiction Humane Heroes: “Anna and Natalie,” by Barbara H. Col, Star Bright Books
- Poetry: “Toad by the Road,” by Joanne Ryder, Henry Holt and Company
- Illustration: “Ape,” illustrated by Vicky White, written by Martin Jenkins, Candlewick Press
- Young Adult: “The Eco-Diary of Kiran Singer,” by Sue Ann Alderson, Tradewind Books
- Illustration Honor: “M is for Meow,” illustrated by Robert Papp, written by Helen L. Wilbur, Sleeping Bear Press.
In addition, Phyllis Reynolds Naylor will receive the 2007 Roger Caras Achievement Award for children’s literature in recognition of her “Shiloh” trilogy. The award, named for ASPCA past president Roger Caras, goes to an outstanding individual or organization that has inspired children and made a contribution to the animal community through literature, actions, or other means.
“Nothing is more essential to the future of America’s pets than educating our children about animal awareness,” said Ed Sayres, ASPCA president and CEO. “Through honoring the work of authors like Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, the ASPCA is able to continue its quest to create a more humane nation.”
For more information about the Henry Bergh Children’s Book Awards, visit www.aspca.org