1. Chinchillas live 15 to 20 years. A new chin owner must be prepared for a long-term commitment.
2. Chinchillas need lots of social interaction – whether with you or another chinchilla.
3. Most chinchillas are not as cuddly as they look. Although chins look adorable and have incredibly soft fur, many do not like to be held.
4. Like other rodents, chins love to chew. You must take steps to chinchilla-proof your home so that your chinchilla doesn’t harm itself by chewing through electrical cords or ingesting toxic materials like plastic.
5. A spacious cage is a necessity for a chinchilla.
6. Chinchillas have unique dietary requirements. A proper diet for your pet consists of specially-formulated pellets and hay. Ask your vet before feeding treats to your chinchilla.
7. Chinchillas should not be housed with animals like cats or dogs.