Is your dog the kind that always lifts your spirits when you’re feeling blue? Do you know a canine who helps the sick feel better? Heard of a pooch who played a role in a dramatic rescue?
If so, American Kennel Club wants you to nominate them for an AKC Award for Canine Excellence.
The AKC’s ACE award is a national honor given to only five dogs each year who have performed an exemplary act or series of acts, whether large or seemingly small, that have significantly benefited a community or individual.
An award is given in each of five categories: law enforcement, search and rescue, therapy, service, and exemplary companion dog. Honorable mentions will be awarded in each category as well.
Each of the five honorees will receive a cash award of $1,000, an engraved sterling silver collar medallion and an all-expenses-paid trip for dog and owner to Long Beach, Calif., to be honored at the seventh annual AKC/Eukanuba National Championship in December 2007.
The names of the five recipients will also be added to the ACE plaque on permanent display at the AKC Library in New York City. Dogs receiving honorable mention will receive an engraved bronze medallion.
All entrants will receive an AKC ACE certificate of recognition in acknowledgement of their nomination.
Anyone, including the dog owner or handler, may submit a nomination. Submissions must include:
- A 500-word-or-less description of how the dog has demonstrated excellence.
- A non-returnable, original photograph of the dog.
- High-resolution electronic photos are permissible (300dpi and at least 5×7 inches, or 72dpi at least 20×30 inches) but not scans.
- Dog’s call name, registered name if applicable, breed, age, and sex.
- Owner/Nominator name(s), address, phone number, plus e-mail address if available.
To be considered, dogs must be AKC registered or eligible for registration.
The deadline for applications is June 29, 2007.
For more information about the awards, to download a nomination form, or to view the 2006 honorees, visit http://www.akc.org/news/ace/index.cfm