The five-day dog celebration topped all other dog events in the nation with over 16,300 combined entries. See who went home as “top dog:”
Eukanuba World Challenge
This international event featured 44 top winning dogs from six continents. Afterglow Maverick Sabre, a Standard Poodle representing the United Kingdom and owned by Jason Lynn & M & MJ Stone of Lancashire, England, was awarded a hefty purse of $10,000 along with the title of “Eukanuba World Challenge Champion.”
Best Bred-By-Exhibitor in Show
GCH CH Bugaboo’s Picture Perfect, an Old English Sheepdog known as “Swagger” was awarded Best Bred-By-Exhibitor in Show, edging out more than 930 dogs representing 24 percent of the total competitors entered in the “Bred-By Exhibitor” competition. “Swagger’s” owners Colton & Heather Johnson of Colorado Springs, Colorado and Ron Scott and Debbie Burke of Dilsburg, Pennsylvania were awarded a $15,000 cash prize.
Best in Miscellaneous Group
Dynasty’s Triple Crown, a Miniature American Shepherd known as “Remi” owned by Kimberly Johnson and Fran Withers of Hinesville, Georgia.
In the Junior Showmanship competition, for handlers from between 9 to 18 years of age, Katelynn Edgecombe with her Pug Ch. Luna’s Timeliss Lara Croft of Cantu was awarded the coveted title of Best Junior Handler, along with a $2,000 scholarship.
Agility and Obedience Competitions
The 2013 AKC Obedience Classic and the AKC Agility Invitational were held in conjunction with the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship. The two events demonstrate the highest level of training and teamwork between dog and handler. This year’s inaugural AKC Obedience Classic is a first of its kind for AKC, offering all regular levels of obedience classes at a national level. Obedience and agility competitions for junior handlers were held for the third year.
AKC Obedience Classic
Four obedience dogs and their owners – one dog/handler team in each of the four classes – were crowned at the AKC Obedience Classic, which brought together 248 dogs from across the country and beyond.
Placing first in their class (Novice, Open, Utility and Masters respectively) were:
- Novice: Goldstar Micah CD, a Golden Retriever owned by Ms. Judy Rasmuson and Ms. Constance Cleveland of Madison, Florida.•
- Open: Darkside’s Luke At Ewe CDX, a Border Collie owned by Meredith Garrett, Jr. and Roberta Garrett of Chesapeake, Virginia.
- Utility: Kanosak’s Uptown Girl UDX OM1 BN GN RE OA OAJ, a Golden Retriever owned by Lynn K. Bauer of Maple Park, Illinois.
- Masters: Starlite’s A Time To Remember UDX10 OGM VER RN AX AXJ, a Shetland Sheepdog owned by Sandy Ganz and Christy Calkins of Ballwin, Missouri.
AKC National Juniors Obedience Competition
Juniors who participated in the AKC National Juniors Obedience Competition competed in two divisions (Obedience Junior Titled (OJT) – where the Junior earned all the titles on the dog that met the requirements and Obedience Junior Handler (OJH) – where the Junior may handle any dog that met the requirements) and two age groups (Level I: 13 and under; and Level II: 14-18 as of October 30, 2013) in the Beginner Novice, Novice and Open classes twice, based on their AKC obedience accomplishments.Placing first in their divisions were:
Obedience Junior Titled (OJT)
- Level I Beginner Novice: Krista Baker and Maximus Tank, a Poodle
- Level II Beginner Novice: Sarah Saddoris and Topbrass The Greatest Show On Earth, a Golden Retriever
- Level I Novice: Abby Stark and Drumlin’s Fuji Made For Pictures CD BN RN, a Shetland Sheepdog
- Level II Novice: Breanna Durham and Nike D the Perfect Fit For Me CD, an Australian Shepherd
- Level II Open: Brianne Farr and Powerhouse Cash It All In CDX BN GO RE NA, a Border Collie
Obedience Junior Handler (OJH)
- Level I Beginner Novice: Elise Jerozal and CH Nohea Plum Lucky BN, an English Cocker Spaniel
- Level II Beginner Novice: Justin Platt and Bubby’s Texas Tornado, a Shetland Sheepdog
- Level II Novice: Danielle Royall Tyler and Scarlett CD BN RAE, a Dachshund
- Level I Open: Avery Adams and OTCH MACH PACH Candlewood Huntleigh UDX OGM VER RE, a Labrador Retriever
- Level II Open: Aleesha Grove and Ivanlee Masked Avenger UD RE MX MXB MXJ CA, a Shetland Sheepdog
AKC Agility Invitational
Five agility dogs and their owners – one dog/handler team in each of the five height categories – were crowned at the AKC Agility Invitational, which brought together more than 590 dogs from across the country and beyond.
Placing first in their height division (8″, 12″, 16″, 20″ and 24″ respectively) were:
- 8” – CH NAC MACH5 Starstruck Anticipation MXB2 MJS2 OF T2B “Carly,” a Papillon handled by Andrea Samuels from Westbury, New York.
- 12” – MACH4 China Road Ziggy’s Split Decision MXG MJS2 OF T2B “Ziggy,” a Chinese Crested handled by Estelle Robinson from Trabuco Canyon, California.
- 16” – MACH3 Vidam Kertesz Sugar MXG MJG OF T2B “Zu-Zu,” a Pumi handled by Tammy Hall from Shelton, Washington.
- 20” – MACH11 No Limit MXS3 MJG3 MXF MFG TQX T2B5 “Zip,” a Border Collie handled by Jamie Herren from Marietta, Georgia.
- 24” – MACH6 Rock’s Indian Sunburn MXB2 MJB2 OF T2B “Shiloh Rock,” a Doberman Pinscher handled by Melanie Rock from Madison Heights, Michigan.
AKC Juniors Agility Competition
Juniors who participated in the AKC Juniors Agility Competition competed in either the Junior Excellent or Superior Classes, depending on whether they had achieved an agility title.
Placing first in their height division (4”, 8″, 12″, 16″, 20″ and 24″ respectively) in the Junior Excellent class were:
- 8”- MACH Lily MX MXB MXJ MJB OF T2B (“Lily”), a Bichon Frise owned by Curtis Short and handled by Claire Short
- 12”- PACH Genral Tommy Franks (“Tommy”), a Parson Russell Terrier owned by Cherie Whittenberg and handled by Deva Wilson
- 16”- Happyfeet M Kcivon OA AXJ (“Happy”), a Shetland Sheepdog owned and handled by Piper Novick
- 20”- SHS Guardian Angel AX AXJ (“Gabe”), a Border Collie owned and handled by Maddie Speagle
- 24”- Pine Run Pity The Fool (“Mr. T”), a Golden Retriever owned and handled by John Rotelle
Placing first in their height division (4”, 8”, 12”, 16″, 20″ and 24″ respectively) in the Junior Superior class were:
- 4” – Cnspots Scarlet Vixen RN (“Lilli), a Chihuahua owned by Rebekah Platts and owned by Mariah Platts
- 8” – JKA Boomerang Houdini (“Boomer”), a Shih Tzu owned and handled by Samantha Adams
- 12”- Levi BN (“Levi”), a West Highland White Terrier owned and handled by Cassandra Doss
- 16”- Be My Beau (“Beau”), an Australian Shepherd owned and handled by Sarah Schaefer
- 20”- Lillie, an All-American Dog owned and handled by Nicole Sieling
- 24”- Endrefalva Ginger IP03, BN, CDX (“Ginger”), a German Shepherd Dog owned and handled by Mica Bender
Missed a competition? More than 300 hours of video event coverage are available, including daytime breed judging, agility, obedience, Groups, Best in Show and special presentations! Click here to watch >>