If you use salt in your aquarium, use these 10 steps to add the salt, or premix the salt, correctly.
- Scrape any salt deposits off of the filter, tank rim and glass top.
- Test the salt level of the aquarium water before the water change.
- Record the salinity level for your reference.
- Premix the salt, and allow it to completely dissolve.
- To premix, use a plastic or glass container filled with warm water to dissolve the salt.
- Pour the salt mixture into a plastic bucket with water that is approximately the temperature of your aquarium’s water.
- Swirl the water for several minutes to mix completely.
- Use a hydrometer, refractometer or electronic salinity monitor to make sure you have the salinity needed.
- Add dechlorinator.
- Add the water to the tank.
Warning! Do not add salt when topping off an aquarium – salt does not evaporate, so adding salt during an aquarium top-off will raise your salinity level.
Want to read the full story? Pick up the October 2010 issue of Aquarium Fish International today.