The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is the “tough guy” of the dog world. This label does not imply that the breed is mean or cold; on the contrary, Chessies, as they are lovingly called, are very affectionate, sweet companions. But since they were bred to retrieve waterfowl from the frigid waters of the Chesapeake, Chessies are both physically and mentally tough.
These dogs are strong, resolute in their determination and fearless. And just like the innumerable “facts” that exist about “Walker, Texas Ranger” actor Chuck Norris’ burliness, the Chessie’s brawn is nothing to bark about.
Here are eight ways Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are as badass as Chuck Norris.
1. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers don’t retrieve sticks, the sticks come to them.
2. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers win the competition before it even starts.
3. A Chesapeake Bay Retriever has never had to stare at its owner for more than 5 seconds before getting what they want.
4. The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is not afraid of the mailman; the mailman is afraid of them.
5. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers think building snowmen out of snow is for babies. Try building a snowman out of rain.
6. Soldiers don’t think twice about obeying a Chesapeake Bay Retriever’s commands. Sir, yes, sir!
7. To a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, icy water feels like a warm bath.
8. The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is so fast he can play fetch by himself.